November 24, 2013

Blueberry-Lemon Galette

So, we both love, love Pinterest! It's the greatest way to find inspiration about, well, basically everything. Yesterday I was just randomly browsing through the food section (bad idea if you do that after you have already eaten, it makes you crave even more food!) and I found this Blueberry-Lemon Galette
which sounded really delicious, and I thought "well, we have christmas in about 5 weeks, it's cold outside and I didn't have plans for monday anyways, why not practice my baking skills?". And it was the best decision ever!



I slightly altered the ingredients to make it a bit healthier.

For the Dough:
- 1,5 cups whole grain flower
- 2 tsp. raw cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp. table salt
- 150gr unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 Tbs. low fat milk

For the Filling:
- 4 cups blueberries
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (I just squeezed out a whole lemon because I really like the taste of it and I think it was the perfect combination between sweet and sour, but it should be just to your tasting)
- big pinch table salt
- 1 large egg, beaten well
- 2 Tbs. raw cane sugar (to sprinkle over the galettes)


1) Pour the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Cut the butter into small cubes and add them to the flour. Mix everthing until until the flour is no longer white and holds together when you clump it with your fingers. The dough should now be smooth and shouldn't have any lumps of butter.
In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and milk and add them to the flour mixture. Mix everything until you have a homogenous and soft dough. Now put it onto your kitchencounter and work it out into a flat disk. Then wrap it into plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for the next 20 minutes.


2) Preheat the oven to 160°.

3) Now put the blueberries in a large bowl. Add the Honey, lemon juice, flour and salt. Since my blueberries were frozen, I let it cook for a few minutes. Everything should now be evenly mixed. 
 

4) Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temp for about 5 minutes. I rolled it our even thinner than before and cut out large circles of about 13cm diameter. Put the fruit into the center of the dough and fold the edges. Make sure you really close all gaps, I had some of the galettes where the filling did leak during baking because I didn't push hard enough onto the edges. Work your way all around, pleating the dough as you go.

5) Brush the pleated dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle some sugar on top of the galettes.


6) Bake the tart until the dough is completely golden brown for about 30min. Transfer to a rack and let cool (very important, forgot to do that with the first batch and couldn't get them off the backing tray. Dumb.)

You can serve it warm or at room temp. I brought some of them with me to university the next day and they were a big hit! All of my friends ate at least one and there was a fight for the last one, which was then, of couse, splitted ;)

Hope you like this recipe, let me know how your tarts turned out!
Love, Jules
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment